So today I saw my second Cardiff Metropolitan University FC game of the season. The archers sat in 6th coming into the game against Bangor City, although funnily enough they actually had less points than Newtown FC in 7th. This is because after teams play each other three times, the league is split between the top 6 teams and the bottom six.

Bangor City boasted a star-studded line up, sort of. Up front was former Leicester City, Blackpool and Accrington Stanley forward Gary Taylor Fletcher who now player manages the North Wales side. The big man’s partner upfront, Daniel Nardiello, is a man who can boast a single Wales cap to his name.

It was the former who nearly opened the scoring, darting inside the box to hit a first time shot into the side netting. However, the home side drew first blood. Left back Kyle McCarthy continued his venture upfield to run onto a pass and dink the ball over Connor Roberts in the Bangor goal.

The ball was passed around nicely by both sides in the Welsh sun. If anything, Cardiff Met were too safe with the ball, always opting to pass rather than shoot. Long balls, although few, took an awkward bounce on landing thanks to a fairly dry 3G turf.

With just over half an hour gone, the away side equalized. Taylor-Fletcher’s initial header was saved but ex Blackburn forward Dean Rittenberg was there to finish the rebound.

Cardiff Met started second half the better side. Nevertheless, the Northerners went ahead for the first time after an absolute banger. Lawrence Wilson lashed a free kick from a narrow angle into top corner.

There was nearly an instant reply from the capital based side. Adam Roscrow tapped in after Emlyn Lewis’ rocket shot was saved. However, the forward’s luck was out as his goal deemed offside.

That’s when the wind started to pick up. Connor Roberts in goal for Bangor nearly scored from full 60 yards after the wind took his kick into the path of Will Fuller who had to fumble it out for a corner.

Bangor’s performance seemed to pick up along with the wind, and the Citizins scored a third after 66 minutes. Centre-back Emlyn Lewis lost the ball in midfield and was made to pay for leaving his post. The ball was played through to Henry Jones who had exploited the gap, Jones then sent Fuller the wrong way to put his side 3-1 up.

By this point it looked like Storm Doris was returning. Will Fuller’s goal kicks holding up in the wind were a particular source of amusement for the home fans.

The Archers managed to pull one back through substitute Thomas. But Met didn’t show much desire to capitalize on the fightback they’d started, and the last five minutes were relatively comfortable for Bangor. Overall, both sides don’t have much to play for between now and the end of the season. On the plus side, Cardiff Metropolitan Ladies won the FAW Women’s Cup today after beating Swansea on penalties. Always good to get one over Swansea!