Jonny McKenna’s equalizer for Aberysthwyth Town meant Cardiff Met missed an opportunity to climb to fourth under the S4C cameras at Cyncoed.

Met were without the services of Bradley Woodridge and Emlyn Lewis at centre-back, plus Adam Roscrow upfront all due to injury.

The away side had the better of the opening exchanges. Luke Borreli, who was heavily involved in the game, headed Ryan Wades cross up and over the crossbar.

Then provider Wades’ arrow like shot flew over the crossbar.

However, it should’ve been a case of third time lucky for town, Malcolm Melvin skied a square ball across the box when really he ought to have scored.

Despite Aberystwyth having most of the chances, the Archers saw more of the ball. Nevertheless, Elliot Evans opener came against the run of play.

With 44 minutes gone, Dan Spencer was elbowed in aerial challenge just outside the box. From the resulting free-kick, Evans, who has been impressive every time I’ve watched him this season, powered a shot over the wall and past Chris Mullock in the Aber goal.

Unfortunately the goal came at a cost, because Spencer had to go off with a nasty scar on his head.

It was a mystery how Borrelli didn’t equalize in the second half. Jon Owen had the most of a lovely flick through the met defence, but he hit the crossbar before the ball fell to the aforementioned Borrelli who missed from two yards.

But Aber did get the leveller just after the hour mark, John McKenna getting the vital touch on Ashley Young’s low free-kick.

Then former Port Talbot striker Borrelli header just wide following some good work on the right by Declan Walker.

The wind and freezing temperatures really didn’t help matters both on and off the pitch. It was the type of weather where buying a hot chocolate is risky in itself in case you shake too much and spill the boiling liquid!

As the game drew to a close, it Town looked the more likely side to get the winner. Fair play to their fans too, who were singing throuhgout the ninety.

The last highlight of note came when Will Fuller had to tip over Young’s corner. It was the only piece of goalmouth action in the last fifteen minutes which turned out to be a game of cat and mouse.

Cardiff Met are away to Carmarthen next week while Aber host Connah’s Quay Nomads. Then the week after it’s the big one, as Cardiff Met and The New Saints face off in the Welsh League Cup final.