It feels like a long time ago since Cardiff Met were narrowly edged out of the Europa League by Progres Niederkorn. Since then the bread and butter of WPL football has begun and by all accounts, the Archers have started well; drawing 1-1 at Connah’s Quay before beating the newly promoted Penybont at the Kymco Stadium.

The University side are now in their fourth season in Wales’ top tier and are arguably now one of the more established sides in the league. A top-three finish is certainly within reach and I reckon this could be the season it happens.

Anyway, there was a new face in the XI today in the form of Joe Evans – a defender signed from Cambrian. Evans would go on to have a solid game in the backline so props to Edwards for another shrewd signing.

Unlike Met, Airbus hadn’t had the best of starts of the campaign, losing to Bala Town and Cefn Druids respectively. However, they started the better of the two sides; the ball sat up nicely for Andy Owens whose sweet half-volley from outside the box was tipped over by Will Fuller.

Despite the hot weather, the opening exchanges were pretty frantic. My Dad said that they wouldn’t keep the pace up and his prediction would later turn out to be correct.

The away side had the better chances early on, Owens looked to be the dangerman in blue as he volleyed wide with a scissor action, then Sam Hart couldn’t keep his header down from a free-kick.

But after 24 minutes Met had opened the scoring. Dylan Rees played a short corner to the dependable Chris Baker whose low volley found its way through a wave of Airbus bodies and past Dave Roberts.

This seemed to galvanize Christain Edwards’ men as they started to create more. Mael Davies skewed Will Evans’ cut-back wide and Kyle McCarthy low drive forced a good save Roberts.

There weren’t any substitutes at the break, but early on in the second half James and his Dad arrived straight from their holiday!

Back to the game now and it seemed the toll of the long journey from North Wales was catching up with Airbus. Met were now controlling possession and although they weren’t creating a vast amount of chances, you got the feeling they were making their opponents tire.

But if anyone was to claw the away side back into the game it was Owens, who flicked a header over from Jake Phillips’ long throw.

Headers did seem to be the theme of the day as Emyln Lewis’ deflected aerial effort was deflected onto the top of the crossbar.

At this point me and James realized a dog walker was watching the game free-of-charge behind the metal fencing. If I ever see that guy standing there again on a matchday I might have to press charges!

With 67 minutes gone Will Evans was taken off for Dion Phillips. Evans had been playing in an unfamiliar lone striking position and had done his bit, but at the same time you get the feeling replacing Adam Roscrow’s goals and hold up play could be a challenge for Edwards.
The aforementioned Dion Phillips was heavily involved in the last real attacking action of the game. Jordan Lam squared the ball back to Mael Davies who forced a point-blank save from Roberts, the ball then fell to Phillips who took a touch when shooting first time might’ve been the better option. Instead, the youngster played the ball to Baker who’s low shot was caught.

Overall it wasn’t a pretty result, more of a #gettingitdone endeavor. Nevertheless, seven points from three games is pretty promising going into the Newtown fixture on Friday.